Apr 07

5 Frame National Nuclei for sale.

I am offering for sale from April 2015, National five frame nucs with genuine over wintered British hybrid queens. :)  Reasonable temperament and steady on the comb. £125 per nuc collected. Mail me for more information. The breeder queen for these nucs produced over 250 lbs of honey last season including over 200 lbs from the Lime flow. Handled right there is no reason why these nucs cannot be split to give two colonies and some honey by the season’s end, and I am on tap to assist with this. I firmly believe in giving assistance to beginners if required as I only too well remember buying my first bees and promptly being abandoned by the vendor.



Dec 18

New features and layout. Poly hive Blog. A must read for new visitors!

poly-hive.co.ukThe Poly Hive blog went under some major reconstruction 15/12/12. With the site becoming very popular in such a short amount of time even though the site was still under construction and time to make the changes was very short I am happy to announce the site is finished.  Which is to say  the layout is finished, but the good quality articles, guides and stories will keep coming. It is intended to increase the video content this season, especially if I can find someone to work a camera for me!

I will try in this post to give you some quick tip’s on using this website to it’s full potential. Read the rest of this entry »

Mar 07

Small Beetle alert. Courtesy of the Scottish Bee Association

Please be aware of this dire threat and be alert. LOOK folks, remember Varroa. Oh aye and thanks for your help Gavin. Cheers.



Feb 28

Exciting news for the British readership

After some careful thought, and from my own experiences, I realised there is a communications gap between those wanting to acquire bees, nucs and Queens . I am in the process of setting up a new site to enable vendors advertise their stock at a reasonable price.

I envisage that it may help those who are looking for particular strains to find them. 

I was persuaded this might work after finding out that one of the auction events in England takes 20% in total for each transaction. Imagine you sell 10 nucs at £100 each. so you pocket £1000. Err no, you pocket £875 and the happy buyer actually pays £107.50 for every lot. Fair enough there are costs involved, site hire auctioneer and so on. 

I am proposing a much cheaper model. A flat fee per advert, which will be considerably more economical for all concerned.

Coupled with the adverts will be a modest forum to allow vendors and customers to discuss potential purchases. 

If I get the right feedback I will consider adding on equipment as well. Local advertising is all very well but sometimes a wider audience pays off.  

The domain name was organised today and the site will be up very soon. “nucsandbees.co.uk”

Please keep an eye on stores as stocks may well now be getting very light. 



Aug 06

Honey: Getting it home

Clearer boards1 DSCF0937 DSCF0938 DSCF0940 DSCF0946 DSCF0949I will start by saying I throughly detest Porter bee escapes. I have two good reasons for this. The first is the escape it’s self is prone to failure. It might be a fat drone getting stuck or it might be the springs are not set properly and the escape fails. Yes if it’s in the garden it’s no big issue but if you have driven a distance it is a real pain to find the supers full of bees still.

My 2nd reason is that the supply companies love to sell crown boards with the holes pre cut for the Porters. This in turn leads on to fiddle fadding winter feeding. People make up little amounts of candy and put it over the porter hole and think they have fed the bees with 250 grams of feed. Err… no. I put on feeding ekes and give four or five kilos of bakers fondant at a time. I then leave them to it and check once a month to ensure they have feed, and I like to see feed still there in Spring.


My escapes have no working parts and can be made at home by anyone who can use a hand saw and a hammer. Please see the pics below. Being a tight git I cut plastic escapes up to fit my boards as I think the escapes in the corners work better than with the hole in the middle.




Older posts «